Of the various systems curricula around the world, there are two systems popular curriculum used in schools in Indonesian. Namely the International Baccalaureate (IB) and CambridgeInternational Examinations (CIE). Both the curriculum spread throughout the world because there are schools that want adopted and recognized globally. Although country where the school is located already has a system curriculum itself, but it was likely there was a school which using the International Baccalaureate (IB) and Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) stimultaneously.
International Baccalaureate (IB)
IB programs are managed by non-governmental organizations, International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. The organization was founded by the European diplomats in 1968, who originally wanted to sustainability and quality of education their children remain assured and standardized, although they must move the state. Now the IB program has been absorbed in more than 90 countries. Schools that use must receive approval for obtain a certificate from the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) in Geneva, Switzerland.
IBO’s official website mentions that the IB curriculum is basically encourage learners to recognize its own culture, to encourage global thinking students. Students are given the freedom choose a trans-disciplinary field of academic and flexible in order to further explore their capabilities. IB programs, as well aimed to develop a positive attitude in learning by motivating students to become active learners and competently. Also develop intellectual abilities, personal, emotional, and social. In the implementation of IB programs divided in 3 stages, namely:
1. Primary Years Programme (PYP): 3-10 years. There are five elements main in the curriculum : concepts, knowledge, expertise, attitudes, and actions. Elements were developed through six trans-disciplinary manner: who, and where we live, how we grow, the world goes, and we are engaged in it, and coexistence. Educators are supported by six subjects: language, social sciences, mathematics, art, science, education personal, social, and physical.
2. Middle Years Programme (MYP): 11-16 years. Eight subjects of academics: math, science, art, physical, first language and second language, humanities, and technology. Each done in five ways: health and social education, social, environmental, learning, intelligence. School adopting more free to develop an appropriate curriculum with the condition of school. Can choose one or teach everything in one area.
3. Diploma Programme: 16-18 years. There are six subjects of academics: math and computer science, art, first language, science lab, second language, individuals and society. Developed through three main capabilities: theory, creativity and action.
Cambridge International Examinations (CIE)
CIE is part of the Cambridge Assessment Group, nonprofit organization under the University of Cambridge. Network curriculum organizer system that has been used in schools in 150 countries, this year aged 150 years. Cambridge curriculum emphasizes flexibility, since basic to intermediate education. Students are free to choose subjects according to abilities and interests, so that they can explore their ability. A common curriculum system that implemented in the schools in England, is also widely used in the United States, Canada, India, New Zealand and other countries in the world with some adjustments. Periodically the Council and Syndication of The University will monitor and direct the implementation of Cambridge system in schools that use the system.
Cambridge education program consists of four qualifications:
1. Cambridge International Primary Programme (CIPP): 5-11 years old. Consists the subjects of English, mathematics, and science through the stages which is based on the children’s natural abilities at that time.
2. Lower Secondary Programme: 11-14 years. Forwarding of basic subjects (English, mathematics,and science), and coupled with preparing children for take IGCSE or O Level.
3. Middle Secondary: 14-16 years. This level is known for its curriculum of the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) or O-level. Students who want to continue education to a higher level to go through the IGCSE exams or O level. O-level qualifications are primarily designed for learners whose primary language is not English. Student can choose subjects of interest in the preparation to A level headed and equip the ability to work later on.
4. Upper Secondary: 16-18 years. International Qualifications A level required to continue their education to university around the world. A level graduation exam can be used as the academic ability to continue their studies to university who received the Cambridge system. At least it took approximately two years to prepare students to be able
completed A level. At this stage students are free to choose subjects of interest according to their abilities.
Broadly speaking, the stages of education prevailing in international system is very similar to the national curriculum.
Age Indonesia (national) IB Cambridge
3-4 Play Group PYP CIPP
4-5 TK A PYP CIPP
5-6 TK B PYP CIPP
6-7 SD 1 PYP CIPP
7-8 SD 2 PYP CIPP
8-9 SD 3 PYP CIPP
9-10 SD 4 PYP CIPP
10-11 SD 5 PYP CIPP
11-12 SD 6 PYP CLSP
12-13 SMP 1 MYP CLSP
13-14 SMP 2 MYP CLSP
14-15 SMP 3 MYP IGCSE
15-16 SMA 1 MYP IGCSE
16-17 SMA 2 DP CI A Level
17-18 SMA 3 DP CI A Level